Pages

Thursday 5 April 2018

What is on my mind right now? Brain unload big time!


So I haven't posted for a month and I can honestly say that I didn't realise that it had been so long. Between work being so busy and, quite frankly, my inability to put down a good book, the last month has vanished. I checked my reading log just now and found I am on my 30th book this year so far. In my defence I am not lazy, I just love a good book. J I think the fact that I do not watch much on TV gives me more time to read. Sadly I have not been writing, just thinking about writing.

It has been quite an interesting month as I went to my first Filofax Meet Up. For those who have never attended one of these prestigious events I will be doing a write up very soon. I will also be doing a write up on my gorgeous purple personal Malden.

I don’t know about anyone else but I find you can lose an entire evening just chilling and thinking. On one hand this may seem like an extreme waste of time, however resting is good for your body. We rush around at work, we book too much to do out of work and we never get enough sleep. What our bodies need occasionally is some time just to relax, get an early night and recharge. 

I do believe that most people have too much stress in their lives and should, where possible, minimise this in any way possible.  Never say yes if you don’t want to do something, we are adults now; we are, primarily, in control. Most people have commitments and some are ones they don’t want, this is unavoidable, however, you can avoid doing things you really don’t want to do whenever it is possible. Life is short and you have to live it how you want, not just to please others. There is a balance between being a lovely person and a push over. Find that balance and stick to your guns.

Most people go through life wanting to do something and not doing it, this can be anything from a hobby they want to try to visiting somewhere they want to go. Clearly commitments and finances prevent a lot of things in life happening, however you must always have dreams and goals.  I personally have lots of places in Britain I would like to visit and I am going to do that even if I go to one place a year. I am quite happy to go away alone to a city I want to visit and soak up the atmosphere, see the architecture, read and write. It is nice to travel with someone else but I am very independent if necessary. (We won’t mention down escalators J).

My view on recycling and saving the planet has always been that we can all do as much as possible within the scope of our lives. I recycle, I give away things to friends and to charity and I buy second-hand a lot too. If there is a plausible green option I use it. I try to use food boxes instead of food bags and I try to use recycled or compostable rubbish bags. I was a bag lady long before it was announced that carrier bags were chargeable, I always carry at least one fold up bag. My latest Eco find is that Nero’s (and other coffee shops) will reward you for using a reusable cup for takeaway coffee. Nero’s give you an extra stamp every time you use your own takeaway cup and this soon adds up to a free coffee. I bought a fabulous bamboo cup with a silicone lid in Robert Dyas for £3.99. It is light to carry, easy to clean and the coffee tastes nicer than in a cardboard cup. This is something we can all do and it is advantageous to us, not just ecologically but on a basic personal level. Free coffee!!!

While still on the Eco soapbox, what is going on with the rivers of plastic in undeveloped countries and the amount of plastic in the sea? I saw a report of a river of plastic in Venezuela and this angers me. It is up to the government of each county to sort this mess. If the population uses plastic then they need to dispose of it wisely! I am well aware that this is no easy task.