Pages

Wednesday 23 May 2018

The Ecological Waste of Disposable Fashion and What We Can Do About It.



I have come to realise that there is a huge waste of resources in the worldwide clothes industry. So much fashion is almost disposable because it is cheap, specific and easily replaced. Fads in fashion create a need for a large turnover of garments and cheap clothes shops make this possible.

Unbelievably you read about people who buy clothes and put them away in the bags and never wear them. They are generally people who are addicted to shopping, but this gross waste is not just caused by consumers with an issue. I recently read of shops in France that throw away clothes they cannot sell. With people all over the world who have little or no clothes, this is a huge waste. It does make you wonder if this happens in other countries too. Do charity shops not exist in France?

Of course the waste is not just in the garments themselves, but the resources used to manufacture the material and, subsequently the clothes the material is made into. It takes an incredible amount of water to produce cotton, for example, I only found this out last year. How did I not know this? I also wonder just how much waste there is from manufacturing of material through to the shop floor and beyond.

Of course there are many controversies surrounding the world of clothes and fashion, including child labour and anorexic models, but this piece is about the diabolical waste of resources and ways we can personally do something.

I was totally horrified to read criticism of the Duchess of Cambridge for wearing a dress to Harry’s wedding which she had worn twice before.  I think it is fabulous for people in the public eye to lead by example and keep wearing something because it looks good or they like it. With certain aspects of the media having such a ridiculous attitude to clothes, no wonder there is an issue.

I am still wearing things I bought 6 or 7 years ago. They may have had times where they have sat in a box in the wardrobe when I was heavier, but I can wear them again.

There are, of course, ways we can help stem the tide of clothes going to the dump or being bought and discarded in the bottom of a wardrobe.

·         We can think carefully before we buy .... will we wear it?
·         We can buy from a sustainable clothes range.
·         We can buy second hand clothes.
·         We can give clothes away.
·         We can swap with friends.
·         We can up-cycle and alter clothes.

Personally I buy mainly second hand because I hate mainstream shopping, all the racks of garments can be quite overwhelming. Even though I buy second hand I will say that over the last few years I have bought too many clothes. This is partly to do with my weight changes and partly to do with going into the charity shops too often. Now that I have lost 38 pounds, I have given away loads of clothes to friends or to charity. I am now being more discerning about what I buy and really thinking about it before making a purchase.

I recently decided, after always thinking I was horrific at sewing, that I would give it a go. I have clothes that need altering to fit and decided to buy a sewing machine in the sale and try. I do have a bit of a Russian roulette approach to sewing. It will either work or not. So far I have taken in two dresses and both have been successful.  

I also want to try up-cycling. Basically you can change and customise clothes to be whatever you want. I have, for example, a dress which does not suit me, I am too old for a handkerchief hem....... it just looks wrong. I do like the fabric so I am going to make it into a top. I do not know how successful it will be, but I can try.

Despite needing to buy new material to do it, I am going to try my hand at dressmaking. too. If I don’t make garments from scratch too often it will not be too wasteful and it will be a good skill to have. I think it could also be useful to use parts of a dressmaking pattern when up-cycling or altering clothes. So often I will see a dress, for example, that is made of a gorgeous material but is too big. With sewing skills I can re use the material to create something different. I am also looking out for decent material in second hand shops too.

So as not to waste the leftover material from altering and dressmaking, I am planning to make fabric gift bags. This will save money, save resources and be a nice way to present a gift. Also, the recipient can either re-use the gift bag or use it for something else. I am even thinking that smaller off cuts can be made into patchwork gift bags.

Not everyone has the time to learn a useful skill such as sewing, but I have and I am giving it a go. I do feel passionately that we waste an incredible amount of resources on things that are not necessary. No one needs a new outfit every week, no one should have so many clothes that they do not know what they have and spending money on yet another disposable fashion item is pointless. Shop carefully, buy second hand and be aware.




Once I have altered a few more pieces,  I will do a blog piece highlighting what I have done. 

Any comments to: saraorange69@gmail.com