Here’s One I Baked Earlier (Recipe 1 Victoria Sponge Cake)
Victoria sponge cake is a classic and easy cake. It is good as it is or as a base for more intricate birthday cakes. If you want to start baking this is an ideal cake to make.
The step by step pictures are at the bottom of the page.
1. First pre-heat the oven to 150 ( electric fan oven)
2. Wipe the 7 inch cake tins with butter and dust with flour.
3. Weigh out the following ingredients into separate bowls:
· 6 ounces of golden castor sugar (sieved) I use golden castor sugar which I have stored with vanilla pods for an extra vanilla flavour
· 6 ounces of olive spread ( or butter if you prefer)
· 3 or 4 drops of vanilla essence
· 6 ounces of white self-raising flour ( sieved)
· 3 whole eggs ( medium), beaten
· 1 teaspoon of baking powder
4. Put the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy using an electric whisk.
5. Add the flour, baking powder and eggs and mix again. If the mixture seems a little dry then add some milk and mix again.
7. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, checking half way through. Times will vary depending on the oven.
8. When the cakes are golden brown take out and test with a knife. If the knife comes out clean then the cake is done.
9. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tins.
11. When the cake is cool put jam on one cake and place the other on top.
12. Dust the top with icing sugar and enjoy.