Pages

Saturday 9 June 2018

Sara’s Philosophy on Life



While reading the fabulous book, “12 Rules for Life” by Jordan Petersen, I started thinking about my own “rules for life”. Do I have a set of ideals that I live by? Do I have a kind of philosophy that I aspire to? Well yes, I do.

Some of the way I live my life is based around positivity, confidence and kindness and some around self –preservation. I believe self –preservation is important and not nearly as narcissistic as it sounds. You cannot be any good to anyone else if you don’t look after yourself.

If I summed up my way of life in short paragraphs it would look like this:

·         Walk with confidence. The old adage of walking into a room like you own it serves me well. If I feel and look confident I will come across better. I urge people to try this because, even if you are having a bad day, it can lift your mood. I have also taken on board Jordan Petersen’s “stand up straight with your shoulders back”. This instils a sense of purpose to your stance and, again makes you look more confident. ( Ladies, a little tip, it also makes your boobs look better J)

·         Smile at as many people as possible, you will feel so much better and so will they. You never know, you may be the only person who has smiled at them today; you may actually make their day. If nothing else it just makes the world a happier place.

·         Take time to do something for someone else, it really will make you feel good. This is not a myth, it is a fact and I am speaking from experience. No one wants to be that selfish, bitter person who is totally self-centred and thoughtless. There are many of them about; I have come across a lot in my life.

·         Take time for yourself. This is not selfish, it is just essential. Self-preservation is important. If you are falling apart you will not be able to help anyone else.

·         Look after your health as much as you can. I know it does not stop you getting ill, but just do what you can to help yourself.

·         Make every second count. If you are resting then that is essential so still counts. Don’t look back in twenty years and realise you attached yourself to the sofa and did nothing.... you will regret it. If you want to go on a big adventure then do it but even the small things are worth doing.

·         If you have something you don’t want try giving it away to someone who needs it or giving it to charity. Giving rather than selling something feels so much better and it is a good way of recycling too. In my past I have had others help me when I really needed something and I have also done the same. When I downsized three years ago I gave away so much stuff that I didn’t need. It felt fantastic every time someone took something away that they needed.

·         Never give up! However low you feel keep trying, keep pushing and always try really hard to get on with life. I know this is not possible for everyone, but at least try. If you know you gave it a go then, however small the achievement, you will feel better about it.

·         Talk to someone if you are not feeling your best, never isolate yourself even if it is the only thing you really want to do. Pick up the phone and call or message someone. It helps and you will be surprised how many good people are out there

·         Be passionate about people, life and whatever makes you smile.

·         A strange one but something I do..... Always check out the room. I like to know where I am, get my bearings, and see who is there and what is going on. This is also helpful with people watching.

·         Be the best person you can possibly be, the very best version of you. Never be a clone, you are not someone else; you are a unique person.

·         Be open to new ideas and be adaptable. You may not think you can do something or want to do something but you never know what the future holds. Trying new things can be fun, it can be interesting and it can be scary. You never know until you try and you never know what you might achieve.

·         Never be anyone’s second choice. If you are not important to them, then walk away..... Self preservation!

·         Be organised, be efficient and be clean. You can’t live in mess and chaos. Get the jobs done first and done efficiently and you will have so much time to enjoy life.

·         Read the books you want to read, listen to the music you like and watch the films that interest you. If something is popular but does not appeal to you that is fine. We are not sheep or lemmings, we are individuals. Always take opinions on board but don’t compromise your choices.

·         Finally, be happy, be cheeky, have that glint in your eye and that smile on your lips. 🗢