Pages

Sunday 17 October 2021

I’m Alright Jack ! This Selfish world we live in.

 Lately I have noticed that in among the people being kind and thoughtful, the helpful people and the ones who care, there are some incredibly selfish and thoughtless individuals. This seems to manifest itself in several ways and these are just some of the misdemeanours I have noticed. 

“ I want to park my car, I don’t want to pay, I don’t want to follow the rules, I shall park where I like.”

“ I want to go shopping, I don’t want to wait, I am more important than everyone else therefore I shall push to the front of the queue.”

“ I haven’t got much work to do so I will make myself look busy doing tasks that don’t need doing. Why would I help the rest of the team; I’m alright Jack!”

“I have a right to get to the shelves before you even though you were already there; I shall push past you and get what I want. My time is far more valuable than yours.”

Unbelievably I have seen all of these things happen in the last couple of months. A sense of entitlement and an incredible delusion that they are the important people, make for some nasty characters.

I know it is not that common to be so self centred that you truly believe the world revolves around you, but it is definitely on the increase. I think too much reality TV is making people think that they do not have to work for a living and that they can just sail through life on minimum effort and maximum return. I am sure that is not what the programmes intend people to think but there are certain individuals who do.

Instagram is a fabulous platform but so many people want to be influencers or social media stars and that is not sustainable for most people. If we have too many influencers who will they be influencing? They can hardly spend all day trying to out influence the next person. 

The “be kind” campaign clearly worked for some people and, luckily they are a lot of lovely people around but I think there are a lot of people who need to start thinking about the people around them and how a lifetime of being selfish and arrogant will impact them. You cannot sustain a  lifetime of being miserable, mean and moody; so smile and laugh and be nice to other people. Life is short and should be as nice as you can make it. 

Before anyone tells me that there are maybe reasons why the grumpy brigade are as they are, I do understand that. But you have to remember that ruining someone else’s day does not improve your own and you may find you get a lot more out of being kind and thoughtful.